Do or Die Issue 5
Some photos, illustrations and other images from the paper edition are not
yet included on the website.
Idiotorial [p. 3]
- An Open Letter to the Minister for Transport [p. 5]
- An anonymous communiqué received by us from the enemies of car culture
to their chief enemy.
- Pollock Free State Lives On! [p. 7]
- The latest news from the campaign against the construction of the M77
though Pollock Estate in Glasgow.
- It's (Not Really That) Grim up North! [p.
- Possibly the world's largest tree village resists the M65 extension in
Stanworth Valley. Plus more Northern direct actions successes.
- Midlands Report [p. 15]
- Action camps, hunt sabbing, squatting, street reclaiming, ethical shoplifting
and more from Nottingham, Birmingham, Northampton and Derby.
- Meanwhile Down in the West Country… [p. 17]
- The anti-opencast struggle, continuing actions at Solsbury Hill, Luddite
history, the Wells "relief" road, and protest sites against the
A30 in Devon.
- London Regional Report [p. 23]
- Reclaiming the streets of the big smoke with the first two London street
parties. Plus Critical Mass, squatting, car bouncing and more!
- Be' Si'n Bod Yn Gymru? ...or What's Going
on in Wales? [p. 27]
- Communities get organised to stop the Valleys being turned into a moonscape
by open cast mining. Plus, the absurdity of the Cardiff Bay barrage and
more action than you can shake a stick at!
- South East Report [p. 32]
- Mass opposition to live exports, burning fences and stopping rallying
on the Downs, plus the growing Newbury camps.
- World Roundup [p.
- Resistance is global. Here are stories of people fighting for the earth
from every corner of the earth.
- Report from Across the Atlantic [p. 40]
- A round-up of ecological action from the USA, Mexico and Canada.
- Vancouver Earth First! News [p. 42]
- Locking down to defend Burns Bog and stopping the killing of wolves in "British
- Anatopia: Anarchy and Mercedes in Germany [p. 43]
- Squatted village defends moorland against the construction of a giant
test track for Mercedes.
- What a Joke! The Berlin Climate Conference Conference [p.
- British EF!ers join the protests organised against the greenwash of the
UN Climate Conference.
- Symbiosis [p. 47]
- Ants and pineapples show us the way - everything in nature is interconnected.
- DuPont's Plans in Goa Go Up in Smoke [p. 48]
- Factory burning in India as villagers beat America's largest chemicals
- Reprieve for Polish Bialowieza Forest [p. 50]
- Europe's last surviving lowland old-growth forest spared the chop thanks
to pressure from eco-activists.
- The Eternal Threat: Biodiversity Loss and the Fragmentation of The
Wild [p. 51]
- A look at the science of "island biogeography": the splitting
up of habitats into 'islands'. Continuous tracts of wilderness are necessary
for ecological survival.
- Bougainville: A Sad and Silent Tragedy
in the South Pacific [p. 59]
- For six years the ecological revolutionaries of the small island of Bougainville
have been fighting a war against Papua New Guinea, backed by the Australian
military and the world's biggest mining corporation.
- David Bellamy Exposed! [p. 63]
- Digging the dirt on so-called "ecologist" David Bellamy - in
reality an ally of the multinationals and the rich.
- Critical Mass: Reclaiming Space and Combating
the Car [p. 65]
- Cyclists take to the streets to stop pollution and re-discover cities
- The Great Experiment [p. 68]
- The scary but true story of the scientists who want to "engineer" the
- Sick Bastards [p. 69]
- People cannot be slaves while they still have land. The tearing of the
people from the land is the key to our sick society.
- Manifesto of the Phantom Tree Planters [p. 70]
- Take direct action to reverse deforestation!
- Animal Antics [p. 71]
- Beasts vs. bipeds? No Contest!
- Tree Spirit and Earth Repair [p. 72]
- As well as fighting ecological destruction we need to be involved in
ecological restoration. An account of the group Tree Spirit who are
doing just that.
- Dancing with Dollars [p. 74]
- Kevin Costner pretends to care about Native Americans but plans to profit
from the destruction of forests sacred to the Lakota people.
- From Other Sources [p. 74]
- Radical ecology can be found in the unlikeliest places…
- Shoreham: Live Exports and Community Defence [p.
- A first-hand account of the massive wave of militant action against
the export of animals for slaughter through the port of Shoreham, on
the South Coast of England.
- Feral [p. 82]
- John Zerzan explains why we need to re-wild ourselves and escape the
dead clutches of civilization.
- Cyber Nora [p. 83]
- Computer hackers crash the system.
- It's Later Than You Think [p. 84]
- An account of recent police harassment of militant greens and animal
- Lettuce to the Cabbage [p. 87]
- Letters from our readers.
- Going Green: How to communicate your company's environmental commitment,
by E. Bruce Harrison [p. 95]
- The king of PR greenwashing tells corporations how to appear
green while carrying on business as usual.
- Coastway 2000, from East Sussex Transport 2000 and Alarm! UK [p.
- Liberal lobby groups propose remedies for the transport crisis - what do
radical ecologists think?
- More Resources - Essential magazines, books and videos for every eco-warrior [p.
- Earth Warrior: Overboard with Paul Watson and the Sea Shepherd Conservation
US Army Improvised Munitions Handbook
Green History: A reader in environmental literature, philosophy and politics
Squall: Magazine for assorted itinerants
The Book, from Justice?/SchNEWS
Food for Free, by Richard Mabey
- Dead Trees EF! [p. 104]
- Books and Pamphlets available from Dead Trees distribution.
Agenda 21 Exposed
Instinkt, Winter/Spring 95
Alarm: A journal of revolutionary ecology
Claremont Road E11: A festival of resistance
Live Wild or Die, No. 5
Road Alert! 3
Fifth Estate, Winter 1995
Anything Can Happen, by Fredy Perlman
Zapatistas: In their own words
Devastate to Liberate or Devastatingly Liberal
Dear Motorist: The social ideology of the motor car, by Andre Gorz
Away With All Cars, by Mr Social Control
The End of the Beginning - Claremont Road: E11 not M11
Future Primitive, by John Zerzan
Stopping the Industrial Hydra - Revolution against the megamachine, by George
Smashing the Image Factory: A manual of billboard subversion
- Prisoners Of War [p. 111]
- Anti-M11ers jailed
Sea Shepherd crew member arrested in Norway
Native American animal liberationist
Rod Coronado captured after two years on the
Chicago activist Lise Olsen fitted up
- Mumia Abu-Jamal: The Struggle
Must Continue [p. 113]
- Black eco-revolutionary Mumia is on death row in America. His life
was saved (for now) by international action. Now we must demand his
- Contacts [p. 117]
- Eco- direct action groups in Britain and across the world.
(Graphic) Become an Urban Shaman [p. 2]
(Advert) DS4A - Distribution with Attitude [p. 16]
(Advert) Boom Creation: A History & Analysis of the
Campaign against the M11 link [p. 26]
(Graphic) Micromodels [p. 81]
(Graphic) Whose Justice? [p. 110]
(Graphic) Why Monkeywrench? [inside back
(Graphic) Vorsprung Durch Technik [back cover]