Do or Die Issue 6
Some photos, illustrations and other images from the paper edition are not
yet included on the website.
- Reclaim The Streets!
- From road blockades to street parties, from strikes on oil
corporations to organising alongside strikingworkers, Reclaim the
Streets' action and ideas are attracting more and more people. Here
RTS activists talk about their actions, their philosophy and their
vision of the future.
- Stop Making Sense: Direct Action and
Action Theatre (p. 11)
- Security and cops on one side, us on the other. We all play our
roles. Some suggestions on better acting.
- Animal Antics (p. 15)
- From alcoholic elephants to rioting polar bears: the critters'
war on the unnatural continues.
- Earth First! - But
What Next? (p. 18)
- The Business of Conservation,
or the Conservation of Business? (p. 21)
- Worried by the 'threat of environmentalism', industry is
increasingly pouring money into the conservation movement. Who's
- Newbury - an
Adrenaline Junkie's Idea of Heaven (p. 24)
- A description of Newbury.
- A Critique of
Newbury (p. 27)
- Were we as effective as we could have been? Lessons for the
- Cybernora (p. 33)
- Contractors' War on Eco-Hackers.
- No Evolution without
Revolution (p. 34)
- Wolves, beavers, forests, indigenous humans - all have been
purged from the Scottish Highlands. How and why they must
- The Joys of Travel (p. 44)
- Industrial tourism - more distance, less difference.
- Farewell Fairmile (p. 48)
- Road Raging in the South-West.
- Mutant Red
Herrings? (p. 54)
- Why labelling of genetically modified food is pointless.
Actions (p. 57)
- Crop Circle Chaos and vegetable vandalism: To combat genetic
engineering, Germans are squatting & trashing test sites.
- Howzat! (p. 59)
- Genetic Experiment sabotage crosses the Channel to Britain
dressed as a cricket match.
- Sweet Death (p. 60)
- Monsanto - poisoning our foods.
- Victory at Offham! (p. 62)
- "We took on a farmer who was trashing a nature reserve and for
once we won".
- The Luddite war on
Industry (p. 65)
- Machine smashing and factory burning.
- Lyminge Forest (p. 72)
- The spread of syphilitic suburbia.
- Autonomy, Resistance
and Mediation (p. 74)
- The dynamics of Reclaim the Valleys! Community defence and
anti-opencast coalfield campaigning chaos in the Welsh
- Life on the Battle
Star (p. 82)
- A personal account of the eviction of the Manchester Airport
Battle Star Galactica.
Reports "from our own correspondents" around the globe.
- Wilderness &
Resistance (p. 87)
- Blockades & burning bridges in the struggle to protect
temperate rainforest and national sovereignty in Canada.
- Cascadia Rises! (p. 93)
- Free State in the Forest: forest defence creates an autonomous
area in the American wilderness.
- Temelin (p. 98)
- Anti-Nuclear Action Camp: Radiation & radicalism in the
- Acme Tyre Pressure Reducer Mark
2 (p. 100)
- Green Partisans (p. 101)
- Crazy happiness - Earth First! in Poland.
- Ecology in Euskadi (p. 102)
- Trashing dams in the Basque Country.
- The Philippines (p. 104)
- A Country for Sale: Tree defence and rebellious cops in the
- What's on in Germany (p. 109)
- From Autonomen to Zeitgeist.
- Thüringen (p. 110)
- Anti-road campaigning has spread to Germany.
- Freiburg Tree Eviction (p. 112)
- Tunnels, welded tractors and tens of thousands of activists
block nuclear waste in Germany.
Gorleben! (p. 113)
- Word up from the anti-nuke Massive.
- Groen Front! (p. 116)
- Earth First! in Holland.
- RTS Amsterdam (p. 117)
- Reclaiming the streets of Amsterdam, what a good excuse to get
- Earth First! Finland (p. 118)
- A movement faced by Finnish society.
- The Last Stand For Headwaters
Forest (p. 122)
- Ecodefense in
Russia (p. 128)
- The Criminal
Element (p. 130)
- Delta Reports on the reality of Shell's Role in Nigeria.
- Zapatista! (p. 133)
- Today Chiapas, tomorrow the world.
- No Compromise in defence of the
Lily-pillies (p. 135)
- Activists in Australia are back blockading the forest.
- The Empire Strikes
Back (p. 136)
- Faced with the growing success of direct action the British
state is replying with raids, conspiracy charges and surveillance.
Is this a taste of things to come?
- Resources (p. 143)
- Twyford Down: Roads, Campaigning and Environmental Law, by Barbara Bryant
Senseless Acts of Beauty: Cultures of Resistance Since the
Sixties, by George McKay
Green Backlash, by Andrew Rowell
Henry's Quest, by Graham Oakley
Joining the Rainbow, by Bel Mooney
Laura's Way, by Beryl Kington
Road Raging: Top Tips for Wrecking Road Building, from Road Alert!
Battle for the Trees: Three Months of Responsible Ancestry, by Merrick
- Lettuce to the
Cabbage (p. 147)
- Contacts (p. 151)
- More contacts than you can shake a wrench at.